Thursday, March 28, 2013

Revisiting Ferdinand

When we go to storytime at the library, I will usually randomly pick up a few books for Millyana.  The last time we were there I picked up one of my childhood favorites, "Ferdinand the Bull."  I remember just loving it as a kid and when I was reading it to Milly before bedtime, I fell in love all over again.  The story is just so sweet and this time I could not stop looking at the illustrations.  The detail and intricacies of each illustration made me pause to study them before turning each page.  
The book is illustrated by Robert Lawson an artist born in New York City who began illustrating in 1922.  As I did more research on him, I discovered more beautiful illustrations that just make you have to stop and take a look.  It is that 1920's style that I just love. It is so detailed that when you look closer and closer you can't help but find little pictures hidden inside little pictures, like a sleeping elf or the little dipper sitting in the sky.   

Sweet Ferdinand
From Little Prince Toofat



3 comments:

Russell Mark Olson said...

Ferdinand was always one of my favorites, too! The thing I remember most about it were ( as almost all of my other storybooks were in full-late-70s-early-80s-overprint-color) the understated black and white illustrations. As you say, you can get lost in the drawings, and I don't think it would have been the same if they'd have been in color. I love the naivety of today's kid's books illustrations, but it's a shame that there isn't as much emphasis on beautifully rendered drawings as there once was.

Pretty Fun said...

I really wanted to find a picture of the "lovely ladies with the flowers in their hair" because that is my favorite picture. The detail in the matador and the banderilleros is pretty great too. I have book of 1920s children's illustration clip art that I can look at over and over again. You are right, the detail of the black and white drawings is amazing. I think that is why I like the Erte fashion designs so much as well.

Pretty Fun said...

My mom also had a little book from the 20s that was instructions on how to make costumes out of crepe paper. I looked at that little book over and over for years until it pretty much fell apart.